On-Campus Resources

There are many resources on campus that you can utilize to maximize your experience at the University of Arkansas. We hope the list below will be helpful for the international community. Please view Academic Support and Things to Do by the university as well.

On-Campus Living – University Housing

The University Housing Office provides housing in on-campus residence halls. If you are a first-year undergraduate student under 21 years old, then you will be required to live on campus, unless you have a notarized letter from your parents or guardian stating knowledge and approval of your living arrangements. The University of Arkansas has single-gender and co-ed halls. All rooms require an academic year or spring only contract. For more information, view the list of Residence Halls. Living on campus is one of the best ways to get connected to the University community and adjust to U.S. culture and campus life quickly.

Off-Campus Living – Off Campus Connections

The Off Campus Connections (OCC) office provides a valuable connection to campus for the under-represented non-traditional and commuter student population. Things you need to consider when looking for an apartment may be different from your culture and you need to fully understand your lease contract to avoid any problems. If you are looking for an off-campus apartment and have questions regarding living off-campus in the U.S., please contact OCC.

Places to Eat on Campus & Meals Plans – Chartwells

There are many places to eat on campus. Meal plans are available as well to eat in the campus dining halls.

Payment – Treasurer’s Office

The Treasurer’s Office assists you with all your financial needs and concerns and helps international students with International Wire Payments to the University of Arkansas as well. The university has partnered with peerTransfer to offer an innovative and streamlined way to make international tuition payments. With peerTransfer, you can pay tuition and fees from any country and any bank. You are offered excellent foreign exchange rates, allowing you to pay in your home currency in most cases. You could save a significant amount of money as compared to traditional banks, and the posting of your payment will be faster and can be tracked through your student account.

Health & Wellness – Pat Walker Health Center

The Pat Walker Health Center supports the University of Arkansas community on the way to wellness. The Health Center provides professional and comprehensive medical care, mental health care, wellness support, and health promotion for University of Arkansas students, faculty, and staff. You can view more information about the Health Center's services at their website. International students are required to have health insurance through the university. Students must also submit documentation of MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) immunizations, and a T.B. (tuberculosis) test upon your arrival is a state requirement as well. ISS will assist you with these initial requirements during the orientation week.

Parking, Transit Bus & Safe Ride – Transit and Parking Department

The Transit and Parking Department provides information about parking, buses and more. Please become familiar with Parking Regulations and Parking Permit information to avoid any trouble on campus. We have several university bus routes through Razorback Transit that cover the main places around campus and central parts of town, at no cost to passengers. Another wonderful service is Safe Ride, a fixed route program that provides students with an efficient and safe means of transportation from any uncomfortable or inconvenient situation. It is available for all university students with proper identification. Fayetteville is a safe place to live, but we encourage international students to become familiar with the transportation system fairly quickly and utilize services such as Safe Ride.

Study & Research – University Libraries

The University Libraries provide access to information that will support and foster creativity, study, teaching, and research. It is very important to know how to utilize the library resources for your academic work in the United States. During international orientation, they provide workshops on how to use library resources well for your study and research.

Studying Smart – Enhanced Learning Center

The Enhanced Learning Center (ELC) assists all University of Arkansas students in meeting their academic goals. They provide tutoring services, workshops and more to enhance your academic experiences. It can be quite an adjustment for international students to get used to teaching and learning styles in the United States, and these experienced students and staff can certainly help you to have a better understanding of U.S. classroom culture and study well.

Improving Writing – Quality Writing Center

The Quality Writing Center (QWC) provides face-to-face and online tutoring at our Kimpel Hall and Mullins Library locations. Tutors provide reader feedback and collaborate with student writers to help them learn revision strategies for improving their drafts. If your first language is not English, we certainly understand that it is challenging to write a perfect academic paper, but utilizing the QWC is one of the first steps in improving this skill.

Special Assistance – Center for Educational Access

The Center for Educational Access (CEA) serves as the central campus resource for helping students with disabilities obtain the accommodations they need for equal access to classroom activities. The CEA provides direct support for students with disabilities and training and educational resources to the university community as a whole.

Internship & Job Search - Career Development Center

The University Career Development Center provides career development content, strategies, and services, such as career counseling, peer mentor coaching, resume reviews, mock interviews, employer networking fairs and events and job search strategies for all U of A students. One particularly useful resource for international students is GoinGlobal. This site provides country, global city and U.S. city job search guides and lists of companies who have historically offered H1-B work visa sponsorships. Find U of A career event information and get engaged in your career planning.

Getting Involved with the Community - Volunteer Action Center

The Volunteer Action Center is a central hub for over 180 non-profit agencies and organizations in Northwest Arkansas to list their service projects. You can search by interests such as animals, kids, environmental, or one-time projects. Learn more about their signature programs to be involved. As an international student, it is a great opportunity to help the community but also to make great friends and network.

Staying Active & Healthy – University Recreation

The University Recreation (UREC) provides programs for participants such as: assisted personal training, modified group fitness, outdoor connection center, club sports, and intramural sports opportunities. Being physically active is necessary for a healthy lifestyle! Our international students love to participate in Intramural Sports and activities and trips with UREC Outdoors to experience U.S. culture in different ways.

Immigration Advising – Immigration Law Clinic

The Immigration Law Clinic serves as a valuable resource for international students at the University of Arkansas and for the larger local community. Services are provided pro bono (free of charge). Appointments can be made through the contact information on their website.