Sample Invitation Letter
The following suggestions are meant as ADVICE only. We cannot guarantee how U.S. consulates will approach each individual situation.
Note: This letter should be sent to the person who will be applying for the visa, and that person should present it to the U.S. consulate along with the application for the tourist (B-2) visa. The applicant should also present as much documentation as possible to establish that she/he will depart the U.S. prior to the expiration of her/his authorized stay in the United States.
To support the application for a B-2 visa, we suggest that you send the following to the applicant:
- A letter from you to your invitee, in English, inviting him/her for a visit. If your family member or guest does not read English, provide them with a translation so that they will know what the visa officer is reading.
- Evidence of your valid student status
- Copies of your transcript
- Letter from the registrar supporting your current enrollment and if applicable, the date of commencement. The letter can be requested from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Enrollment verification for invitation of family to UA". If you are inviting your parents to commencement, please indicate this in the body of the email.
- A photocopy of your I-20 or DS-2019, passport, visa and I-94 card
- Evidence of your ability to financially support your visitor during their stay (for example, your assistantship letter or a bank statement). This evidence is needed only if your visitor does not have the funds to support himself or herself during the visit to the U.S.
Suggested Invitation Letter Format
United States Consul General
(Address of Foreign Consulate Where Person Will Apply for the Visa – check online)
Dear Honorable Consul:
My name is (Last Name), (First Name) and I reside at (Your US Address). I am a student at the University of Arkansas majoring in (Major). I am requesting that a tourist (B-2) visa be issued to (Person you want to invite), in order to allow (her/him) to visit with me in the United States. (She/He) is my (Explain your relationship to the person) and will be visiting with me from (arrival date) to (departure date). (Explain why you want the person to visit).
During (her/his) stay in the United States, (she/he) will stay with me at my residence at the address stated below. I will be responsible for all of (her/his) room and board expenses while (she/he) is in the United States. Upon the termination of (her/his) visit, (she/he) will return to (Country).
Your kind consideration of this request will be greatly appreciated.
Very truly yours,