Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an employment option available to F-1 students. It must be directly related to the major area of study and students must receive academic credit for the work experience. Credit for CPT may be gained through co-op (cooperative education) or internship.  Other types of academic credit/courses may be used only if the course is for work experience which is required by the degree program for ALL students earning that degree.  Academic departments are responsible for determining the appropriate means of earning credit for proposed CPT employment.

Important Note:

Students wishing to pursue Curricular Practical Training (CPT) during a fall or spring semester (whether on a part time or full time basis) must remain enrolled in a full course of study as defined by immigration regulations.  Students wishing to pursue CPT during a summer term must be enrolled in at least the course for which they will earn academic credit for their CPT employment.  Please contact an ISS advisor if you have questions or concerns.

CPT Steps

  1. Obtain a job offer.
  2. Complete the online CPT Application (and Engineering Co-Op Online Form if an Engineering student).
  3. Academic Advisor verifies employment is related to your major program and determines the appropriate course credit.
  4. Enroll in the course related to CPT employment.
  5. Schedule an appointment  with a Foreign Student Advisor at ISS to receive a CPT I-20 in order to begin CPT employment.

Engineering students only

Please visit the College of Engineering Co-Op webpage and contact Margot Purdy for assistance or further information. Once the online application is processed by the College of Engineering please schedule an appointment with an F-1 advisor to submit your completed CPT application for review by ISS. CPT approval will not be finalized - and you may NOT begin employment - until you have a new I-20 with the CPT authorization printed on the back which you can show to your employer as proof of your employment authorization.