Applying for Employment Authorization
This section covers employment benefits under F-1 status including on-campus employment, economic hardship, curricular practical training and optional practical training.
To be eligible for a Social Security Number you must have authorized employment connected to your student immigration status. Students who are eligible for a Social Security Number must have their employer fill out the On-Campus Employment Verification form on University or employer letterhead (see below for an example). Employer signature must be signed with ink pen. Bring signed verification letter to the ISS office between 1pm-4pm to be stamped by an ISS advisor. This letter will be used for the Social Security application. Bring required immigration documents for your Social Security application: verification letter, I-20 or DS-2019, passport data page, visa, and I-94.
Full-Time Employment on Campus - Eligible Dates
F-1 students (and J-1 students who have been specifically authorized by their program sponsor) are permitted to work full time on campus during spring break, summer, and winter break. At all other times, employment on campus is strictly limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session. At the University of Arkansas, the official work week is measured from Sunday through Saturday.
- During summer 2022, full time employment on campus is permitted during the following
- Sunday, May 15, 2022 through Saturday, August 20, 2022.
- Full time employment on campus is NOT permitted during the Fall Break or Thanksgiving Break.
- During the winter break 2022/2023, full time employment on campus is permitted during
the following dates:
- Sunday, December 18, 2022 through Saturday, January 14, 2023.
- During spring break 2023, full time employment on campus is permitted during the following
- Sunday, March 19, 2023 through Saturday, March 25, 2023.
- During summer 2023, full time employment on campus is permitted during the following
- Sunday, May 14, 2023 through Saturday, August 19, 2023.
Note that these dates may be subject to change if the academic calendar changes. In case of changes, updates will be posted here. Please contact an ISS advisor if you have any questions.