International Education Week
International Education Week 2017
Thursday: November 9th
- Farah Siraj in Concert, 7:30 p.m. – 9 p.m., Faulkner Performing Arts Center
The Faulkner Performing Arts Center partners with the King Fahd Center for Middle East Studies to host Jordan’s “Musical Ambassadress,” Farah Siraj, November 9th. Featured in New York Time Out and the Boston Globe, Farah Siraj has performed on such international platforms as The John F. Kennedy Center, Lincoln Center, the Antena de Oro Awards of Spain, MTV, and the United Nations. Accompanying Farah Siraj on select pieces will be the University of Arkansas Children’s Chorus.
Friday: November 10th
- iFriend Celebration of International Friendship, 5:30pm, Holcombe Hall Living Room.
iFriend participants and those interested in learning more about the iFriend program are invited to this dessert reception celebrating international friendships. Sponsor: iFriend Program and International Students and Scholars (ISS), Contact - Karen Beitle;firstname.lastname@example.org or 479-575-5003
Saturday: November 11th
- M & N Augustine International Festival, 6:30pm -9:30pm, DeBriyn Center, St. Joseph's School, 1722 Starr Rd., Fayetteville
Enjoy a wonderful night of international food samples, French Creole food, and the Great American Cookout. $20 for adults & $5 for children. All proceeds to to the M & N Augustine Foundation to serve those in the community with emergency situations and those experiencing poverty and hunger. Sponsor: M & N Augustine Foundation. Contact: Joe Augustine , 479-236-3800 http://www.mnaugustinefoundation.org/
Monday: November 13th
- Opening session and International Bazaar, 11:00am – 2:00pm, International Connection Lounge in the Arkansas Union.
Kim Needy, Dean of Graduate School and International Education will open the University of Arkansas' International Education Week followed by a group picture of the University of Arkansas community in traditional dress. International Bazaar will contribute to inclusion and diversity on campus though cultural table presentations and performances by international students. Sponsor: Graduate School and International Education, and International Students Organization (ISO). Contact – James Flammer: email@example.com.
- Study Abroad Photo Contest Display, 11:00am – 2:00pm, International Connections Lounge.
Winners of the 2015 Study Abroad Photo Contest will be announced and displayed during the International Bazaar. Sponsor: Office of Study Abroad and International Exchange, Contact – Brian Poepsel: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday: November 14th
- Study Abroad Pre-Departure Orientation, 5:30pm, Arkansas Union Theater (ARKU 425)
This meeting is for all students planning to study abroad in Spring 2017. We will have students who have studied abroad before available to share travel tips and important information about study abroad locations. The meeting will also cover important health & safety reminders and cover some of the most frequently asked questions about your time in your study abroad program! Sponsor: Office of Study Abroad & International Exchange, Contact: Brian Poepsel, email@example.com
- Gregorio Uribe in Concert, www.gregoriouribe.com
Jacob Hertzog, Music Department
Wednesday: November 15th
- Scholar Reception, 5:30pm, Fowler House (by invitation only).
This is an annual event honors our international scholars on campus. It is hosted by the Chancellor. Sponsor: International Students and Scholars, Contact – Audra Johnston: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gregorio Uribe House Concert for Holcombe Hall and International Students & Scholars, 7 p.m.? Holcombe Hall Living Room
Thursday: November 16th
- Dance Around the World, 7:00pm, Holcombe Living Room.
This is an annual event in which students will showcase their home cultures in fun, diverse ways. Cultures from all around the world will be showcased by traditional dances and authentic food. All students and faculty are welcome to attend and anyone interested is encouraged to perform! Sponsor: Holcombe Hall, Contact – Eric Peltier: email@example.com.
- Reception for Illogical Animus, Art Department, Cassandra Sanderson
- Deadline for Student and Scholar sign-up for Thanksgiving Dinner in an American Home, 4:00pm Online at https://goo.gl/YtZlDi
International Students and Scholars at the U of A and Spring International Language Center are invited to participate in a program that connects them with American hosts for Thanksgiving Dinner celebrated on November 24th. This program gives our international community the opportunity to celebrate the Thanksgiving meal with local families. Host families will provide food and
Friday: November 19th
- Deadline for Host Sign-up for Thanksgiving Dinner in an American Home, 4:00pm Online at https://goo.gl/qI0WyP
The iFriend program at the University of Arkansas and Spring International Language Center (SILC) are looking for local families who would like to share their Thanksgiving holiday dinner on Nov 24 with a few students, scholars and their family members. If you have room at your table for a few extra guests (or more than a few), we would appreciate you signing up for Thanksgiving Dinner in American Home. This is a great opportunity for our students & scholars to celebrate a traditional American Holiday! The Deadline to sign-up as a host for this Thanksgiving program is November 18th. To sign-up please use this link https://goo.gl/qI0WyP or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsor: Spring International Language Center and the Office of International Students and Scholars. Contact: Karen Beitle email@example.com or 479 575-6665
- Afternoon PositiviTEA: Culture in a Cup, 2:00pm - 4:00pm, Holcombe Hall living room
You Ought to Live Optimistically, along with the International Culture Team, are putting the warmth back into November by hosting our 4th annual Afternoon Positivitea event. We love instilling warmth in people, and what better way to do it than sipping on hot tea while having awesome conversation and meeting awesome people? (Too many 'awesomes'? Impossible!). We've recruited some tea-enthusiasts from around the world who would love to share their tea and culture with any students who can make it to Holcombe Hall on November 18th at 2 p.m. Pour yourself a calming cup of tea and learn about the positive philosophies behind tea-drinking cultures from international students at the U of A. Come enjoy an amazing mug of Japanese Matcha tea, Moroccan mint tea, Russian floral tea, Persian Borage tea, Bolivian Cedron tea and many more with us! This event is super people-friendly and planet-friendly. So if you want to make our planet happy, bring our own mugs and save a disposable cup! This automatically allows you to participate in our Eco-Friendly Mug Contest to get great prizes as well! Come drink some tea with us! There will also be some amazing pastries from Ozark Natural Foods. Sponsor: You Ought to Live Optimistically (YOLO), International Culture Team (ICT) and Associated Student Government (ASG). Contact – Behdad Mofarraj, firstname.lastname@example.org, 4797130204.
- Stammtisch, 4:00pm - 6:00pm, Arkansas Union in front of the fireplace.
Stammtisch is a weekly conversation group. Because we believe it is very important for our students to have the opportunity to practice their language skills in an everyday, conversational setting, the faculty and staff commit to attending Stammtisch every week. From native speakers to those who are learning German and just want to listen to some conversation, everyone is welcome. (Off campus visitors can park for free after 5:00 pm in certain spots next to the football stadium: http://parking.uark.edu/parkmap.pdf), Sponsor: German Section of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Department.Contact: Dr. Kathleen Condray - email@example.com, 479-575-5938
A special Thank You to those who have supported and sponsored IEW events :
- Office of the Chancellor
- Graduate School and International Education
- International Students and Scholars
- Study Abroad and International Exchange
- Spring International Language Center
- International Students Organization
- Holcombe Hall – University Housing
- International Culture Team
- The King Fahd Center for Middle East Studies
- Department of World Languages, Literature, and Cultures
- German Section of the Department of World Languages, Literature, and Cultures
- Arkansas Union
- Scholars at Risk (SAR) Committee
- Diversity Affairs
- Sponsored Student Programs
- African Students Organization
- Associated Student Government (ASG)
- Fulbright Scholars at the University of Arkansas
- Brazilian Student Organization
- You Ought to Live Optimistically (YOLO)
- Dale Bumpers College of Agriculture, Food, and Life Sciences, International Programs Office
- Office of the Dean of Students
- M & N Augustine Foundation
- Upward Bound