Cross Cultural Mentor Program
CCM is a student leader (international or U.S. student; graduate or undergraduate) who volunteers to assist new international students in adjusting academically, culturally and socially to the United States and the University of Arkansas. CCM will assist in educating new students about campus and community life, provide a connection to the University, and be able to answer many of the questions new students may have upon arrival and during their first semester in the U.S.. CCMs also assist new students facing difficulties with communication, social relationships, academic expectations, and general cultural changes.
Meet our wonderful CCMs for the 2021-2022 academic year!
- Must have minimum 2.5 GPA
- Must have been a student at the U of A for at least one semester.
- Must commit to 2 semesters (Fall and Spring) unless completing your program of study in December. CCMs are volunteer, unpaid positions.
- Must be able to work well with others, have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must submit completed application and participate in both individual and group interviews.
- Attend one training retreat on a weekend in April
- Return to campus on time for training and International Orientation (Training: Wednesday & Thursday, August before orientation)
- Keep schedule open during the orientation. During this time, you will be expected to give a priority to the international orientation responsibilities
- Enthusiastically participate in all orientation activities and events
- Maintain contact with your assigned small group throughout their first semester
- Commit to meet with mentor group mid-semester for a cultural, social or sports activity and so on
- Intercultural and interpersonal leadership skills through intensive training sessions
- Experience in program development and facilitating small groups
- Cross-cultural experience and knowledge
- A certificate recognizing successful completion of program
- Meals provided during required training and orientation hours
- Friend with new international students and other CCMs
How To Apply
- Saturday, February 29, 2020 (9pm)
Being a CCM was one of the best decisions I made. I enjoyed seeing a mix of cultures
in one room sharing experiences and laughter. Being an international student myself,
taught me so many things about going to a country alone. Sharing my knowledge with
others is the best way to give back. The experiences and skills you obtain by becoming
a CCM are very unique, it’s a great “emotional paycheck”. It’s a great way to show
what a big family the hogs are.
- Natalia Moreno from Santa Cruz, Bolivia
I absolutely loved being a CCM! Facilitating a safe and engaging environment for
incoming international students brought me so much joy! This experience undoubtedly
improved my leadership skills and my ability to facilitate a group of distinct people.
I enjoyed being introduced to students from all around the world and helping them
make Fayetteville their new home. My experience as a CCM has increased my appreciation
of the many diverse cultures of our world and I have become close friends with many
international students who come through orientation.
- Hannah Valles from The Woodlands, Texas
I could say being a CCM is one of the best experiences in college. I truly enjoyed
meeting new people and getting to know them. CCM gave me opportunities to mentor new
students and to befriend them. It was incredible to find out that we have so many
things in common although we are from different backgrounds. For me, learning about
different cultures is equivalent to travelling. Getting to know people from different
cultures definitely broadened my horizon and took me to places without physically
- Onuma (Ploy) Pleetissamuth from Ranong, Thailand
Being a CCM was the best decision I have ever made in my college experience because
it totally changed my college life. Through this incredible program, I was able to
meet people from all over the world and learn about their cultures and backgrounds.
Also, I was pleased to make a lot of friends during the orientation who made my college
life unforgettable. After 2 years of being a CCM, I also realized that my communication
and leadership skills have significantly improved. I encourage everyone to join this
- Abdulrahman Alsayari from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.